Intro British musician
From United Kingdom
Birth 12 June 1972
Age: 48 years
James Childs (born 12 June 1972 in Bristol, UK) is a British musician and composer-producer. He grew up in the nearby town of Portishead. As a member of the rock group Airbus, he contributed to Bristol’s flourishing music scene during the 1990s.
Childs worked with Geoff Barrow on a remix of the Portishead hit single “Sourtimes”.
Signing to BMG in 1997, Childs gained moderate success with Airbus in the UK. He then moved to Los Angeles in 2001 and worked on the group’s material with producers Rick Parker and Richard Dashut, who produced Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. Airbus disbanded in 2002.
In 2003, Childs formed ‘Black on Sunshine’ with Peter Finestone, the original drummer for Bad Religion.
He then joined forces with Chris Cockrell, formerly of Kyuss, in the band ‘Vic du Monte’s Idiot Prayer’ and produced their album Prey For The City, which was released on the Duna Records label in February 2005. While playing keyboards and bass guitar in the band, Childs and Vic du Monte’s Idiot Prayer successfully toured all of Europe in spring 2005.
Childs and Cockrell moved on to form ‘Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata’ with Alfredo Hernandez, who played drums in Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age. Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata signed to Cargo Records and have been touring together since 2005.
Childs also collaborated with Motörhead drummer Philthy Animal Taylor on a project called ‘Little Villains’.
When he is not touring, he composes music for film and TV often with long-time friend and musical collaborator Andy Sturmer. The pair were nominated for an Emmy Award for composing the theme tune for Disney XD’s Kick Buttowski cartoon.
Whilst spending some time back in the UK, Childs worked with Geoff Barrow and Billy Fuller as front of house sound for Beak on their European and American tours of 2012 and 2013.
He worked again with Alfredo Hernandez on the California desert group Brave Black Sea recording sessions and as front of house sound engineer.
Childs spent much of 2013 and 2014 on the road working with Australian production company Showtime management in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, performing theaters and arenas
In 2013 -14, Childs sang and played guitar with his group Lakota, releasing its debut self-titled LP in September 2014.
James currently fronts and tours with the desert rock band Avon named after his home county in UK with Alfredo Hernandez and Charles Pasarell, releasing their debut album Mad Marco in 2016.
– Airbus Apple Trees LP Spira Records 1991.
– Airbus Bug and the Big Fish LP Spira Records 1992.
– Airbus Inertia Single Spira Records 1993.
– Airbus Ghosts EP Spira Records 1994.
– Portishead Sourtimes Single (Airbus reconstruction) Go Beat 1995.
– Airbus Gravity EP Spira Records 1997.
– Airbus Ghosts LP Spira Records/BMG 2000.
– Airbus No EP Spira records 2001.
– Black on Sunshine Hurricane Single Invada 2004.
– Vic du Monte’s Idiot Prayer Prey For the City LP Duna Records 2005.
– Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata LP Cargo Records 2005.
– Jinxremover Hospital Radio LP Spira Records/Cobraside/BMG 2006.
– Jinxremover Spitfire LP Spira Records/Cobraside 2007.
– Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata Sweet Sixteen EP Music to Ruin your Life To 2007.
– Jinxremover Messerschmitt LP Spira Records/Cobraside 2008.
– The Jinxremover North Facing Fields LP Spira Records/Cobraside 2009.
– Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata Autoblond LP Cobraside 2009.
– Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata Re Dinemite EP Go Down Records 2009.
– Vic du Monte’s Persona Non Grata Barons & Bankers LP Go Down Records 2010.