Chemicals taken from foxglove are used to make a prescription drug called digoxin. Digitalis lanata is the major source of digoxin in the US. Foxglove is most commonly used for congestive heart failure (CHF) and relieving associated fluid retention irregular heartbeat.Click to see full answer. Herein, how dangerous are foxglove plants?Toxicity and symptoms: foxglove plants contain toxic cardiac glycosides. Ingestion of any parts of the plant (and often the leaves usually as a result of misidentification for comfrey, Symphytum officinale) can result in severe poisoning. Symptoms include nausea, headache, skin irritation and diarrhoea.Also Know, what happens if you eat foxglove? People who eat any part of the plant or make tea from the leaves are, in essence, taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine. This can cause the heart rate to slow down or become irregular. Both can be dangerous and life threatening. If anyone consumes any part of the foxglove plant, do not induce vomiting. Moreover, where is foxglove plant found? Habitat and range. —Originally introduced into this country from Europe as an ornamental garden plant, foxglove may now be found wild in a few localities in parts of Oregon, Washington, and West Virginia, having escaped from cultivation and assumed the character of a weed.How much foxglove does it take to kill you?Foxglove is most toxic just before the seeds ripen. It tastes spicy hot or bitter and smells slightly bad. This plant is so poisonous that ingesting only . 5 gram dried or 2 grams of fresh leaf is enough to kill a person.